We all have those pair of leather beat-up comfy boots that we cannot dare to throw out. Even though we know cracking is inevitable, we finally found a way to extend their lifespan by revamping them with acrylic pastels giving them an impressionist style! Instead of giving your old boots to the dumpster, Refinery29’s Chloe Daley, gives us an alternative by walking us through an easy do-it-yourself tutorial. Originally inspired by Anthropologie’s Galaxy Inlay Booties, Chloe recreates these “Peter Pan meets Monet” booties by using plain black ones and injecting them with a boost of creativity giving her a new fashion statement to rock!
If you are ready to take on this challenge just follow the easy steps below:
leather boots, alcohol, tarp, assorted acrylic paints, primer, sealer, brushes, sponge, and container for water.
- Rub boots with alcohol to make sure there is no sealing already on the leather.
- Mix paint primer with water using equal proportions and paint on leather. Applying this primer will help the boots absorb the paint. Apply primer about 2 more times and flex leather while doing so (that way you don’t get any cracks).
- Create a white base by painting on white acrylic paint onto the boots and let them dry. Apply about 2-3 coats.
- Paint boots with an emerald green color (use whatever color you want) and let dry for about an hour.
- Take sponge and dab rose metallic and yellow accents on boots and overlay with green afterwards. It is completely up to you what color you want to add accents with.
- Use a sealer spray to coat boots.
So what are you waiting for ?! Click here to see full video.